Old 06-08-2008, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
paghat[_2_] paghat[_2_] is offline

Default digging up plants at tree base

In article
,
wrote:

I have to dig up a huge liriope which is at the base of a 5 year old
weeping bald cypress. I don't want to kill the cypress. Is there a
way to do this? Thanks.

If you love the cypress don't do this. You'll cause considerable damage if
you use anything resembling a shovel and the tree might bounce back from
the injury, but it might not.

Liriope is so cheap and grows so easily, risking only that would be more
reasonable. You could soak the area well then just yank out the liriope
without chopping up the tree's roots, then replant whatever comes up with
enough roots. If it dies it costs very little to replace, but
realistically you'll get enough of it to transplant where you want it and
it'll soon spread.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website: