Old 06-08-2008, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default digging up plants at tree base

I have to dig up a huge liriope which is at the base of a 5 year old
weeping bald cypress. I don't want to kill the cypress. Is there a
way to do this? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
I have to dig up a huge liriope which is at the base of a 5 year old
weeping bald cypress. I don't want to kill the cypress. Is there a
way to do this? Thanks.

No real safe way, if it is that close you will do some root damage to the
cypress. Roots will be inter mixed, very difficult to remove without
damage. You may try to soak the soil, make it as loose and pliable as
possible, and work the liriope out, carefully, dig with a hose washing the
dirt away from the roots.

Good luck.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Watch the roots. Better if just cut to ground level rather than digging
out.
SEE: Troubles in the Rhizosphere for problems in absorbing area.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Don Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...
wrote in message
I have to dig up a huge liriope which is at the base of a 5 year old
weeping bald cypress. I don't want to kill the cypress. Is there a
way to do this? Thanks.

No real safe way, if it is that close you will do some root damage to the
cypress. Roots will be inter mixed, very difficult to remove without
damage. You may try to soak the soil, make it as loose and pliable as
possible, and work the liriope out, carefully, dig with a hose washing the
dirt away from the roots.

Good luck.
Don Staples - Consulting Salvage Hog
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

Dirt? Why would he have dirt for the tree to grow in? Most trees prefer
soil.

SOIL: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/S/soil.html

Best not to dig out. Grass roots grow deeper than non-woody absorbing roots
of tree.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
[...]

Wadda dumbass. Definition of Dirt according to Princeton's wordnet is
"part of the earth's crust consisting of humus and disintegrated rock,"
synonym for Soil, separately defined as "part of the earth's crust
consisting of humos and disintegrated rock." Websters defines dirt as
"earth or soil."

Your problem is you rely on your own website for all answers to all
things, and you're not the bright. It's kind of like someone with their
head cut off relying on their neck-stump for fresh ideas.

-paggers
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 07-08-2008, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

"sympleass" wrote in message
. ..
Watch the roots. Better if just cut to ground level rather than digging
out.
SEE: Troubles in the Rhizosphere for problems in absorbing area.
http://www.treeddictionary.com/DICT2...igo/RHIZO.html

Hey, yard boy, she wants to move the tree, no problem in absorbing area,
problem is MOVING THE DAMN PLANT.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Yard Boy
www.treeddictionary.com
Beware of yard boys who do not understand tree biology.
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.
Some yard boys will buy products they do not understand and buy books
that they do not understand..

Old 07-08-2008, 07:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message

I have to dig up a huge liriope which is at the base of a 5 year old
weeping bald cypress. I don't want to kill the cypress. Is there a
way to do this? Thanks.

No real safe way, if it is that close you will do some root damage to the
cypress. Roots will be inter mixed, very difficult to remove without
damage. You may try to soak the soil, make it as loose and pliable as
possible, and work the liriope out, carefully, dig with a hose washing the
dirt away from the roots.

Good luck.
Don Staples - Consulting Salvage Hog
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

Dirt? Why would he have dirt for the tree to grow in? Most trees prefer
soil.

Please explain in what way this gem of pointless pedantry is going to help the
OP.

David

Old 07-08-2008, 08:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

[...]

Nice alliteration ;O)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Damn Paggers,
Why don't you say what you really think.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks, so much for the helpful replies!