Old 06-08-2008, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JustTom JustTom is offline

Default Growing Potatoes

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 05:26:45 +0100, Claire DC
wrote:

I'm a beginner at all this (well i have some strawberry plants that are
still alive from last summer) and am looking to start growing some
potatoes as I've a feeling it's a bit late in the year to start many
other things.

I was told that I could grow them from unused potatoes that had started
sprouting and to cut them in half and plant them like that; however I've
since heard that I should only use proper potato tubers.

Could anybody let me know if I am able to just plant an ordinary
potato.. and what the difference is between the 2?

I don't know about the UK, but in the states, some producers treat
with a sprout inhibitor that may make it difficult to sprout them, so
make sure you have actual sprouts first. The only thing to do is try
and see what happens. That's what gardening is all about. Cut it
into pieces with 3 or 4 viable eyes on it, plant it and see.

As someone else said, though, it's best to start with certified virus
free seed potatoes, but there really isn't anything different about
them, other than the testing and possibly the sprouting inhibitor.

Gardening means you could try some wonderful varieties that aren't
available in the stores. If you want ordinary tasteless tubers that
were selected for appearance and shipping reasons, grow the store
ones, But if you're looking for flavour, try some fingerlings, or
an heirloom red or purple, or any of the other wonderful old world
varieties.. Yummy, and you can save your own seed stock for next
year.