Old 07-08-2008, 04:14 AM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

40 feet is quite a distance. You need something with fairly strong colour and shape. How about a coloured phormium? There are some amazing coloured forms and not all get enormous. They are there all the year, whereas a hydrangea is rather boring in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
Location - Midlands UK
Soil type - Clay
Area available - 3ft x 3ft
Distance from window - approx 40ft

I was thinking about a Hydrandga for good all round summer colour,
with good large bold flowers.

Bulbs are no good as they disappear over the years by mice or slugs or
just rot.

But its the winter time ??

Something as small as 3 feet maximum with all year interest is
difficult. I would suggest planting a succession of bulbs round
something like a pieris [in acid soil] or a hebe or a even a camellia.
Any shrub will have to be kept pruned back.

It would be helpful to know what space is involved [ie 3 feet across or
12 feet across] as well as the soil and location.