Old 05-08-2008, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suggestions plz on a plant for all year colour ???

I need a plant that has all year colour, ( or at least during summer)
and that will grow to about 1m max.

An elderly lady wants to look at something from her window, so has to
be seen from a distance.

May be even 3 different plants, in a group, to give an all round year
colour.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

dutchman wrote:
I need a plant that has all year colour, ( or at least during summer)
and that will grow to about 1m max.

The space limit might be a problem. Most things get bigger with time.

An elderly lady wants to look at something from her window, so has to
be seen from a distance.

May be even 3 different plants, in a group, to give an all round year
colour.

How about some of the slower growing variagated plants (most admittedly
grow bigger than 1m after a while). Or you could try a Japanese maple
with spring bulbs and autumn crocus growing under it.

Finding a single plant to do everything year round is a bit tricky. Most
perrenials flower for a relatively short period of time.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
When I die, this is going to be found carved on my heart!! ;-) Where do
you
live? Climate and soil make a lot of difference to what can be suggested.
In the meantime, Phormiums or a variety of Miscanthus sinensis might do
the
job. Could something be grown up a frame, perhaps?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Couldn't we have one of those maps that show where all the posters live ?

kate

Forest of Dean

Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
I need a plant that has all year colour, ( or at least during summer)
and that will grow to about 1m max.

An elderly lady wants to look at something from her window, so has to
be seen from a distance.

May be even 3 different plants, in a group, to give an all round year
colour.

Something as small as 3 feet maximum with all year interest is difficult. I would suggest planting a succession of bulbs round something like a pieris [in acid soil] or a hebe or a even a camellia. Any shrub will have to be kept pruned back.

It would be helpful to know what space is involved [ie 3 feet across or 12 feet across] as well as the soil and location.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/8/08 19:03, in article net,
"Kate Morgan" wrote:

snip
When I die, this is going to be found carved on my heart!! ;-) Where do
you
live? Climate and soil make a lot of difference to what can be suggested.
In the meantime, Phormiums or a variety of Miscanthus sinensis might do
the
job. Could something be grown up a frame, perhaps?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Couldn't we have one of those maps that show where all the posters live ?

kate

Forest of Dean

Wonderful idea, Kate, IMO. Who's going to draw it up and maintain it, or is
it automatic once created? If that doesn't work, the easiest thing is to do
as a few of us do and put it in the sig.file!

Old 06-08-2008, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Not sure how it works Sacha, I will look into it :-)

Kate
Forest of Dean

Old 06-08-2008, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/8/08 13:51, in article net,
"Kate Morgan" wrote:

[...]

Oh good! It would be so useful, IMO. I only wish there was someone able to
take on the FAQ pages etc. that Cormaic no longer has time for.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Location - Midlands UK
Soil type - Clay
Area available - 3ft x 3ft
Distance from window - approx 40ft

I was thinking about a Hydrandga for good all round summer colour,
with good large bold flowers.

Bulbs are no good as they disappear over the years by mice or slugs or
just rot.

But its the winter time ??