Old 09-08-2008, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
CanopyCo CanopyCo is offline

Default tomato cuttings?

On Aug 7, 2:36*pm, DougL wrote:
OK, there was a thread on this last year, but I'm not sure we got
closure on it.

What's the most effective way to do tomato cuttings? I took six inch
young stems off a very healthy overgrown red cherry, and stuck them
five inches deep in moist potting soil indoors with indirect light.
They looked happy for more than a week (with no growth), and finally
decided to die (with no obvious growth or new shoots). What gives? I
want a fall crop!

Rootone? Bay leaves? Water soak?

Tomatoes have all these hairs on their stems that are supposed to turn
into roots, so I've heard. Can't be that hard! Lots of people must
want to do this. Can someone point me to details on a tried and true
method? This can't be one of those things that *needs* root stimulator
to make it work.

Doug

I've been trying that too.

I put my clipping in a tall glass of water with a willow branch about
3 inches long.
I heard that a willow branch will help the rooting process.
It all sets in the shade outside in Oklahoma.
90F + days and 80F nights.

One of my tomatoes has lost all it's leaves but the stem is still
green and there are no roots yet.

The other one still has leaves but is going the route of the first
one.

The willow branch has green shoots about 4 inches long.

:-(