Old 10-08-2008, 05:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
D Kat D Kat is offline

Default Yellowish hyacinth

I had forgotten this - I initially had a terrible time with water hyacinths.
They always looked sickly and small. When I put in my upper pond which I
used as a veggie filter, I only put mosquito fish in it. The water hyacinth
thrived in this setup. Someone posted that the larger fish ate the roots of
the floating plants. The plants were getting the same water since it was a
closed system with the pump in the bottom and the flow into the top. When
the plants became overcrowded in the top and I put them into the bottom they
would again fail over time. There really isn't any floating plant that I'm
able to keep alive and thriving in the pond with my fish.

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
Well, don't know if it is the iron or the potash or the combo. One of
the berm ponds has taller, greening hyacinth...maybe 8". The other
has sick yellow hyacinth...but with some new green growth that started
with the potash. I will continue to monitor the progress.

Jim