Old 03-08-2008, 02:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Yellowish hyacinth

This year most of my hyacinth have satyed in the yellow rather than
green phase. And they have not grown as tall as usual. I tried
potash. It helped a few of them. The water celery is thriving.
Could this be an iron issue? Any suggestions as to a good source for
iron, if that is likely to be it? I have ironite that I use in the
garden, but I don't know if it would have bad effects for trace
minerals if used in the pond.

Suggestions?

Jim

Old 04-08-2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
This year most of my hyacinth have satyed in the yellow rather than
green phase. And they have not grown as tall as usual. I tried
potash. It helped a few of them. The water celery is thriving.
Could this be an iron issue? Any suggestions as to a good source for
iron, if that is likely to be it? I have ironite that I use in the
garden, but I don't know if it would have bad effects for trace
minerals if used in the pond.

Suggestions?

================You can't just toss the granules in the water as far as I know. There's a

liquid Iron you can use. I found it at Home Depot. I use the granules in

the potting soil I plant the pond plants in. Makes them a nice deep green

color.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks.

They are darkening a bit since the Potash. I will check out the iron.

Jimk

Old 05-08-2008, 01:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

This year most of my hyacinth have satyed in the yellow rather than
green phase. And they have not grown as tall as usual. I tried
potash. It helped a few of them. The water celery is thriving.
Could this be an iron issue? Any suggestions as to a good source for
iron, if that is likely to be it? I have ironite that I use in the
garden, but I don't know if it would have bad effects for trace
minerals if used in the pond.

Suggestions?

Jim

Jim,
A couple of things.

That could be a nitrogen deficiency. Take a few of them and plop them in a
pail with some water and a high nitrogen fertilizer.

Could also be a ph issue. Different nutrients are drawn into different
plants between specific ph values. My ph is 8.5 and I rarely get the water
hyacinth to bloom and it doesn't look anywhere near as green as the water
celery.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I will check on the ph. The pond is cement, so it has been very
stable for years. The koi have generally provided lots of nitrogen
for the plants. I will pop a few in fertilizer IN pondwater.

Jim

Old 05-08-2008, 03:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:52:57 EDT, "Reel McKoi"

You can't just toss the granules in the water as far as I know. There's a
liquid Iron you can use. I found it at Home Depot. I use the granules in
the potting soil I plant the pond plants in. Makes them a nice deep green
color.

And that just reminded me. I'm going to take my WH (my one and only with 3
pathetic babies) and put the roots in dirt. They will usually thrive like
that when looking yellow otherwise.

Jim, has your fish load changed? What's your pH? You could give the WH a
vacation in a tub with the ironies and see what happens. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The load has not changed at all. Peculiarly, the hyacinth in one berm
pond have grown more than those in another! No idea what is going on.

Today I put iron in the pond itself...plant liquid. We shall see what
happens.

Jim

Old 09-08-2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Well, don't know if it is the iron or the potash or the combo. One of
the berm ponds has taller, greening hyacinth...maybe 8". The other
has sick yellow hyacinth...but with some new green growth that started
with the potash. I will continue to monitor the progress.

Jim

Old 10-08-2008, 05:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I had forgotten this - I initially had a terrible time with water hyacinths.
They always looked sickly and small. When I put in my upper pond which I
used as a veggie filter, I only put mosquito fish in it. The water hyacinth
thrived in this setup. Someone posted that the larger fish ate the roots of
the floating plants. The plants were getting the same water since it was a
closed system with the pump in the bottom and the flow into the top. When
the plants became overcrowded in the top and I put them into the bottom they
would again fail over time. There really isn't any floating plant that I'm
able to keep alive and thriving in the pond with my fish.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 16:53:55 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Well, don't know if it is the iron or the potash or the combo. One of
the berm ponds has taller, greening hyacinth...maybe 8". The other
has sick yellow hyacinth...but with some new green growth that started
with the potash. I will continue to monitor the progress.
Jim

I've yet to put mine in the mud. But I did move it from the lily pond to
the stock tank on the patio temporarily. The stock tank only gets morning
sun, only has a tadpole or 2 left in it, and it appears the WH is greening
up, what's with that? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-08-2008, 05:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:13:10 EDT, "D Kat" wrote:

As I said - I think the fish eat the roots. Donna

I had that problem back when I put WH in the koi pond, but so far the
goldfish are not interested in the WH roots, plenty of other stuff in the
lily pond for them to eat on I guess, plus I feed them.

Anyway.... WH roots now partially in mud. We'll see if that helps. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 13-08-2008, 03:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our koi love hyacinth roots. The yellow hyacinth, however, are in the
berm ponds with only mosquito fish for company. They are, however,
getting a bit more dark green in them. Maybe the iron and potash have
helped.

Jim

Old 31-08-2008, 01:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Update on Jim and Phyllis' Yellowish hyacinth

This is a report on my efforts to help my small browning hyacinth.
One of two berm ponds had really stunted hyacinth, that never got tall
(3") The other pond had hyacinth that have become modestly tall
(12"). Both had really yellow plants. The hyacinth in the short-
plant pond have largely died out or stayed small with increasingly
brown leaves. The water celery, on the other hand, has continued to
thrive, and has the parrot's feather.

I added potash and saw, perhaps, some response in green veining of the
leaves.

I added iron relatively soon after the potash, with the result of more
greening of the hyacinth and some fully dark green leaves on new
growth.

I am wondering if I got some sort of bug on the plants. Both berm
ponds have the same water flowing through them. One got tall, the
other stayed small and the leaves have browned by the edges.
Something is different between the ponds. It has to be on the plants
rather than in the water.

With respect to the color of the plants, I have never had them stay
yellow like this.

One other thing, The water in the pond is more clear than it has ever
been and the blanket weed has done its usual by thriving in the berm
ponds (No koi) and never getting a foothold in the main pond.

My analysis: Some sort of on-the-plant disease or critter in one berm
pond and a general lack of some mineral that resulthed in the yellow
leaves. The l;ack seems specific to the hyacinth.

Jim

Old 06-09-2008, 12:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Yellowish hyacinth seem to be buggy

I conclude it was some sort of biting insect that got my hyacinth. I
note brown holes on the leaves of the ones that did not make it. Bug
bites. The new plants form the last month are the usual dark green of
hyacinth.

Jim

Rate This Thread: