Old 08-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Theo

Default [IBC] Acer palmatum

some maple are more sensitive than others to strong sun so a screen as you did is
ok.. the humidity around is quite important to avoid this drying problem .. , when
a hot spell is around I spry leaves early in the morning and before sunset in the
evening to avoid mildew that occurs in some breeds .. but TOO much water/
dampness in the soil also makes leave tips dry you need to search the requirements
of the species you have
I had a Desojo maple that had this problems for years and lately I put it in
direct sun and it was perfect all summer untill fall included
do not fertilize after end of june as to provok vivid colors in the autumn and
use acidified water ( tea for example or water that passed trought peat )
Theo

Claudio Fierro wrote:

Hello everybody, I'm asking again for help. 1 1/2 years ago my wife
gave me as a present a beautiful acer palmatum, with excelent foliage,
perfect leaves.
During the first summer the leaves becomme dry, at the nursery they
told me it was because of too much direct sunlight. For this season I
preapared a frame with a net (we call them kiwi net, because it's used
for this trees) for shadow. It worked great, and the leaves were ok for
longer time (all spring and almost all summer too). Now my problem is
the tip of the leaves become brown and dry, it doesn't affect the
complete leave (most of times), but they look ugly and affect the look
of the tree (and I don't know how far also it's health). Can anyone
give me reasons for that (pests, too windy, etc)?
Thanks a lot everybody.

Claudio Fierro Neudörfer, Chile.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++