Old 11-08-2008, 03:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Mitchell Brian Mitchell is offline

Default alternative fungicide --help, ideas requested

Hi,

I have this ongoing problem with hazel shrubs being attacked by some
kind of fungal or viral infection which affects the leaves and
eventually kills the plant. The only measure I've found at all helpful
so far is to spray them with Dithane before the infection hits, but this
is horrendously expensive. A sachet costing £1 makes approx 2 litres,
which just about does one bush and I've got over 30 of them I'm trying
to keep alive. The spraying needs to be repeated and this disease seems
to spread to other trees as well.

Does anyone know of any other systemic or preventative fungicides I
could try and which I could get in bulk at non-GC prices? Or have ideas
about a homemade fungicide? I don't want to lose all these hazels.

Desperate in SW Wales.