Old 11-08-2008, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Sloping Veg garden

"Patrick666" wrote in message

I have a southish facing veg patch which drops two feet three in 9
feet.

Should I build a 2 foot 3 retaining wall for a flat raised bed OR
Build a smaller wall to lessen the slope (how big?) OR
Just work on the slope with no wall.

Work the slope with no amendment (although you may need to consider how to
water it if you get dry conditions - even a small trench made by hand at
various points across the slope might solve that problem).

It is perfect for a better solar orientation than a flat bed. There are a
few examples in old UK garden where south facing slopes were deliberately
built (usually on the south of a brick wall) so that plants could get an
early start in Spring.