Old 11-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Registered User

Default Sloping Veg garden

I have a southish facing veg patch which drops two feet three in 9 feet.

Should I build a 2 foot 3 retaining wall for a flat raised bed OR
Build a smaller wall to lessen the slope (how big?) OR
Just work on the slope with no wall.

It is in the UK, if that is relevant.

Patrick
Old 11-08-2008, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Patrick666 wrote:

I have a southish facing veg patch which drops two feet three in 9
feet.

Should I build a 2 foot 3 retaining wall for a flat raised bed OR
Build a smaller wall to lessen the slope (how big?) OR
Just work on the slope with no wall.

It is in the UK, if that is relevant.

Patrick

I'd divide the veggie patch in half. Give yourself a two foot
walkway between the two halves for access. This way you can reach
anything in the box with out walking on the soil and compacting it.
Make the tall side of the box 2 to 3 feet tall for convenience and ease
of weeding and harvesting.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 11-08-2008, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Patrick666" wrote in message

I have a southish facing veg patch which drops two feet three in 9
feet.

Should I build a 2 foot 3 retaining wall for a flat raised bed OR
Build a smaller wall to lessen the slope (how big?) OR
Just work on the slope with no wall.

Work the slope with no amendment (although you may need to consider how to
water it if you get dry conditions - even a small trench made by hand at
various points across the slope might solve that problem).

It is perfect for a better solar orientation than a flat bed. There are a
few examples in old UK garden where south facing slopes were deliberately
built (usually on the south of a brick wall) so that plants could get an
early start in Spring.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Build a smaller wall to lessen the slope (how big?) OR
Just work on the slope with no wall.

Work the slope with no amendment

Is this one of those examples of two people being separated by a common
language?

In the enlightened English of the Americas
amendment is a

noun
€ a minor change in a document.
€ a change or addition to a legal or statutory document :
an amendment to existing bail laws.
€ ( Amendment) an article added to the U.S. Constitution :
the First Amendment.
€ something that is added to soil in order to improve its
texture or fertility.

Presuming that you weren't referring to the first three choices,
Shirley you can't really be serious that Patrick not use compost,
manure or some other amendment to improve his soils fertility.

Perhaps you meant improvements, or does amendment mean something
else along the road to Gundagai, or have you just put your foot
in it?

Promise, I won't smile, much ;O)

Shields up!
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 12-08-2008, 10:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Build a smaller wall to lessen the slope (how big?) OR
Just work on the slope with no wall.

Work the slope with no amendment

Is this one of those examples of two people being separated by a common
language?

It must be. I use English, but I'm not sure what patois you use.

In the enlightened English of the Americas
amendment is a

There's is your problem.

noun
? a minor change in a document.
? a change or addition to a legal or statutory document :
an amendment to existing bail laws.
? ( Amendment) an article added to the U.S. Constitution :
the First Amendment.
? something that is added to soil in order to improve its
texture or fertility.

Presuming that you weren't referring to the first three choices,
Shirley you can't really be serious that Patrick not use compost,
manure or some other amendment to improve his soils fertility.

Well Chuck, if you'd looked in an English dictionary, or spoke English, you
wouldn't need to ask. The OP who does use English, hasn't come back to
query my meaning so it must be obvious to those of us who use English.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

Shirley, you've been living upside down for too long. Since when
has a non-response been an affirmation?

Even for a provincial, you are a bit tetchy.

In any event, I took the trouble to look up amendment in a proper
British dictionary, that comes from some little back water
university called Cambridge:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...2503&dict=CALD

No need to thank me. A good deed is its' own reward ;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 13-08-2008, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

And you Chuck have been living in ignorance for too long.

Even for a provincial, you are a bit tetchy.

Obviously you don't travel a lot. If you did, you wouldn't make such silly
comments. If you travelled more you would realise that when it comes to the
former colonies, Yanks are considered to be even more parochial, provincial,
obtuse and ignorant than Australians. And Australians are considered to be
very low in the cultural dung heap.

But then I know why you made the comment. You simply have to be the fount
of knowledge on all things and I posted an opposing view.

In any event, I took the trouble to look up amendment in a proper
British dictionary, that comes from some little back water
university called Cambridge:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...2503&dict=CALD

No need to thank me. A good deed is its' own reward ;o)

Sigh. I suppose you can't help being ignorant but I'll try to educate you
anyway.

Try using a dictionary designed to educate and not the abridged versions for
morons found on the internet. Find a library, look up the Oxford Dictionary
(the full 20 volume one not the Concise or any other form). There you will
find under the entry for "amendment" the following:
"amendment. The action of amending, whether in process, or as completed.
1. Removal of faults, correction, reformation
a. of human conduct
b. of faults or errors in things, as a book, a law, etc
c. 'Law' correction of error in a writ or process
d. the alteration of a bill before Parliament
e. 'In a public meeting' A proposed alteration in the terms of a
resolution
submitted to a meeting for adoption
2. Repair, mending (of things damaged)
3. General 'improvement' of conditions
4. Improvement in health, recovery from illness
5. Amends-making, reparations
6. 'Improvement' of the soil "

My use of the word "amendment" is consistent with meaning 3.

If you require further access to my dictionary, I'll oblige but only if you
can refrain from your jingoism and need to act like a dog and mark your
territory on every thread. Your habit of ****ing on things soon loses it's
amusement value.

Old 13-08-2008, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Sigh. I suppose you can't help being ignorant but I'll try to educate you
anyway.

That is very generous of you, luv. I mean, I know you'd like to
stomp me as flat as road kill, so all things considered. Eh, but
I did come across
http://www.dictionary.co.uk/browse.aspx?word=amendment ;O)

Apparently, it means the same in colonial English (American).
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/amendment

But thanks all the same for not skinning me alive or nailing my
head to the shed.

Think it's time for a coldie.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 14-08-2008, 10:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Sigh. I suppose you can't help being ignorant but I'll try to educate
you
anyway.

That is very generous of you, luv.

I thought so given the comments you directed my way.

I mean, I know you'd like to
stomp me as flat as road kill, so all things considered. Eh, but
I did come across
http://www.dictionary.co.uk/browse.aspx?word=amendment ;O)

Apparently, it means the same in colonial English (American).
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/amendment

Well I appreciate your having followed up to see why I used the word the way
I did. I try to be careful with the words I choose to use and I knew I had
used that one correctly.

I often rewrite things because I know that words don't always mean the same
to a US reader (who are the dominant gorup in this ng) as they do in the
rest of the English speaking world.

But thanks all the same for not skinning me alive or nailing my
head to the shed.

Not this time. Maybe next time.

Think it's time for a coldie.

Only 2 per day I hope.

[IMG] code is On

need help for a sloping garden pleb United Kingdom 26 07-04-2006 12:12 PM
Sloping and Small Mel United Kingdom 0 30-01-2004 10:33 AM
Sloping and Small (Long reply with solution) Mike United Kingdom 1 12-01-2004 10:02 AM
Sloping and Small Mel United Kingdom 3 11-01-2004 10:34 AM
pond on a sloping garden Tony Ponds 1 16-05-2003 01:44 AM