Old 08-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Regina

Default Longest time to soak roses?

Allegra wrote:

"Regina" commented:

As you've already heard, long soaking really is not a problem. And I take none
of the precautions Allegra mentioned, re changing the water.

Regina

Hello Regina,

I perhaps wouldn't either if I lived where you do,
but in Oregon and next to a State park if you keep
your roses out while soaking and don't change the water,
in a couple of days you will have mosquito larvae growing

Yes, Radika mentioned that too. And last year, I did actually find larvae in
two standing water sources here, though it was much more than a few days
incubation time since our mosquito population is low. However, I will be very
careful in the future! West Nile Virus is scary; though it's not here yet, it
obviously will be soon.

But most of all I have done it because capillaries need a lot
of oxygen to maintain a healthy growth,

Yeah, that was more my point - that even if you don't make efforts to aerate,
they seem to do just fine. They might do better with aeration and extra
attention like Superthrive, but they will be ok with less. If I were a
bareroot, I'd probably rather be soaking in your bucket.

and all I do is to let
the hose run the water over for a couple of minutes which
serves two purposes:

Oh! when you said change the water, I thought you dumped it and refilled. Not
so? Aeration with a hose is quite doable once the soaking containers leave the
garage. I am still soaking inside as nights are below freezing mostly.

one moves the water surface and two,
it oxygenates the rest of the water. No tricks, ma'am.
Just the facts; that is my story and I am sticking to it ;)

Allegra

Good story, and I'll remember to do this this summer. Thanks.

Regina