Old 08-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] shipping to states--restrictions?

At 09:04 AM 4/8/03 -0500, Craig Cowing wrote:
Jay Gettinger found this on Dr. Dirr's website:

"We are deeply disappointed to add that we cannot ship plants to
California, Oregon, or
Washington due to these states' stringent phyto-sanitation laws."

Can anyone comment? In particular, I'm thinking of the honeysuckle I'm
auctioning for the IBC.

Craig

If a state requires a phytosanitary certificate, as these states do, it
means that your shipment must be inspected and certified by your local Ag
Dept. There may be other restrictions. CA does not allow importation of
plants shipped with soil from most states. Some species are banned
outright. Ag Depts have all this information for each state and are
responsible for seeing that the regulations are enforced by the state of
origin. On your end, there may be hurdles as well. CA requires _anyone_
who ships plants out of CA to be registered by the state and have license
to sell nursery plants (read significant anount of fees and inspections).

Having said all this, violations are rampant, and enforcement next to
impossible. However, the consequences for the environment can be enormous,
as Jim Lewis will tell you. A call to your local Ag dept might be useful,
but as one who deals with these all the time, if I were you, I would simply
avoid shipment to the states with the tightest regulations and the most to
lose: CA, OR, WA, TX, AZ, MS, FL, AL, GA, LA.

You can avoid this if you can find a local export nursery that will ship
for you. They do it all the time and will probably do it correctly,
although they still may have to skip CA, TX, AZ, and OR. These states are
often avoided by even large mailorder nurseries. Expect to have to pay a
significant fee.

An online auction of plants for the IBC is a great idea, but the shipping
regulations are an important issue.

Hope this helps.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++