Old 08-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] shipping to states--restrictions?

Jay Gettinger found this on Dr. Dirr's website:

"We are deeply disappointed to add that we cannot ship plants to
California, Oregon, or
Washington due to these states’ stringent phyto-sanitation laws."

Can anyone comment? In particular, I'm thinking of the honeysuckle I'm
auctioning for the IBC.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Jay Gettinger found this on Dr. Dirr's website:

"We are deeply disappointed to add that we cannot ship plants

California, Oregon, or
Washington due to these states' stringent phyto-sanitation

laws."

Can anyone comment? In particular, I'm thinking of the

honeysuckle I'm
auctioning for the IBC.

I suggest you check the websites of the respective state
agricultural departments. They should tell all.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Brent Walston

At 09:04 AM 4/8/03 -0500, Craig Cowing wrote:
Jay Gettinger found this on Dr. Dirr's website:

"We are deeply disappointed to add that we cannot ship plants to
California, Oregon, or
Washington due to these states' stringent phyto-sanitation laws."

Can anyone comment? In particular, I'm thinking of the honeysuckle I'm
auctioning for the IBC.

Craig

If a state requires a phytosanitary certificate, as these states do, it
means that your shipment must be inspected and certified by your local Ag
Dept. There may be other restrictions. CA does not allow importation of
plants shipped with soil from most states. Some species are banned
outright. Ag Depts have all this information for each state and are
responsible for seeing that the regulations are enforced by the state of
origin. On your end, there may be hurdles as well. CA requires _anyone_
who ships plants out of CA to be registered by the state and have license
to sell nursery plants (read significant anount of fees and inspections).

Having said all this, violations are rampant, and enforcement next to
impossible. However, the consequences for the environment can be enormous,
as Jim Lewis will tell you. A call to your local Ag dept might be useful,
but as one who deals with these all the time, if I were you, I would simply
avoid shipment to the states with the tightest regulations and the most to
lose: CA, OR, WA, TX, AZ, MS, FL, AL, GA, LA.

You can avoid this if you can find a local export nursery that will ship
for you. They do it all the time and will probably do it correctly,
although they still may have to skip CA, TX, AZ, and OR. These states are
often avoided by even large mailorder nurseries. Expect to have to pay a
significant fee.

An online auction of plants for the IBC is a great idea, but the shipping
regulations are an important issue.

Hope this helps.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Should you just ship the plant minus the soil, you should be
good then,
right? I know this might not be good, but if it's shipped next

day
delivery, should it be ok?

BTW, how do I find out what my zones are, and what zones do I

need to look
out for, thanks.

Tony in South Redondo Beach, CA

~

You are in USDA zone 10 (which in your area is often a warm 9 in
CA). Dunno what you mean "zones to . . . look out for."

And no, CA won't even accept a plant minus soil -- since there is
NO way to get all soil (and therefore all pathogens) off the
roots without expensive and often fatal fumigation.

Old 08-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Brent Walston

At 01:19 PM 4/8/03 -0400, wrote:
Should you just ship the plant minus the soil, you should be good then,
right? I know this might not be good, but if it's shipped next day
delivery, should it be ok?

Tony

No, that may not be good enough for CA. It may also require a phytosanitary
certificate from the state or origin. This means an inspection before shipping.