Old 14-08-2008, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Growing Potatoes

Claire DC writes:
I was told that I could grow them from unused potatoes that had started
sprouting and to cut them in half and plant them like that; however I've
since heard that I should only use proper potato tubers.

Could anybody let me know if I am able to just plant an ordinary
potato.. and what the difference is between the 2?

Hello Claire. As others have said, it is advisable to plant seed
potatoes that are certified virus free.

However, if you plant a store-bought spud that has developed shoots
it will grow and usually do very well. I recommend that you do not
cut the potato into a few pieces, they are very prone to rotting
if you do this and by the time you realise you have to replant you
have lost some of your valuable growing season. You can plant the
seed potatoes even before frosts finish, just make sure you cover
them with 12" of loose straw to protect the shoots from frost. Even
if they do get nipped, they will immediately reshoot.

Homegrown potatoes are an ideal crop for new gardeners. They produce
results out of all proportion to the effort expended, and have a
flavour totally different from the bland supermarket potatoes. If
you see the leaves being eaten by ladybirds pick them off and
squash them underfoot. While some ladybirds are helpful, there is
a species that eats the leaves of potatoes and pumpkins.

When you see tiny green fruit developing among the leaves, don't get
excited. They are not crossbreeding with tomatoes! That's the small
potato fruit, and you definitely do not eat the fruit. Only eat the
tubers. If any tubers push up through the soil cover them immediately
with a depth of soil so they don't manufacture a poisionous green
area on the potato. Good luck!