Old 14-08-2008, 09:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jon[_6_] Jon[_6_] is offline

Default killing off IVY

FarmI wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

Zero doesn't work, it's far too weak. I've foudn it only knocks it back
for a while and it then starts off again. I've been trying to eradicate
a huge wad of from a large bed for at least 10 years and the only thing
that seems to work is tree and blackberry poison which has 50g/L
TRICLOPYR present as Butoxyethanol Ester.

I was writing about cut and dab on cut part within 5 seconds, as it then
sucks it into the plant..
Did you try spray as well as me?
Haven't tried it myself, and using soep as a surfactant doesnt seem to
make much more difference.
I will try it again this month, while the saps flowing.

I tried spraying it with both a soap and metho added to try to get through
the waxy coating. I also tried dabbing this mix on cuts too, although I
couldn't vouch for it getting on a cut within a 5 second time frame. The
blackberry and tree killer does work but it also takes a fair amount of time
and I mix it at a higher dose rate than is recommended. Trouble is, the
patch is so big that I can't do the whole sodding lot at one go and by the
time I get back to it, a lot of it has regrown. There are certainly
disadvantages to having such a big garden.........

I reckon a goat may the the way to tackle this..
I'm for the goat method..
Actually, with all the new migrants coming over, we should buy shares in
any company which is involved with "goateries"