Old 14-08-2008, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

Default Applying lime in the summer

On 14/08/08 15:08, Bill wrote:
In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Not that I have really had a summer here, but the sheeps' sorrel is running
rampant in the lawn and the garden and the quickest way to fix it is a good
heavy application of lime. Usually this happens in the late fall and I just
broadcast lime and in the spring, I'm all set for the season. Generally, I
only have to lime the garden once every 2-3 years, depending on snow
coverage and weather in general

But, it's August, it's been raining buckets and I suspect anything I added
in the spring got washed into the stream (which is why I stay away from
chemicals) or the neighbor's yard.

So - would you lime now and hope or just weed and lime in late fall as
usual.

Cheryl
(southern NH)

An issue of the type of lime used may matter. Quicklime is quick to
assimilate and dissipate . Whereas dolomite is slower and breaks down
slower. We always went with the dolomite type along with green sand and
granite dust. The intent was long term improvement.
However our area is VERY acid and I am sure our soil can use a test for
sure.

Bill

Speaking as a research chemist , you surely don't use quicklime ?
Quicklime (aka calcium oxide) is extremely caustic; it can burn the
skin and cause other damages. Maybe you mean slaked lime?

Ed