Old 08-04-2003, 07:32 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Do Shubunkin eat tadpoles?

Hi,

we have had a pond for several years, with goldfish in, and always had a
good crop of tadpoles and baby frogs.

We had the usual crop of tadpoles last year, but didn't see any baby frogs.

The only difference I can see is our Shubunkin - we put five in the pond
four or five years back and the single survivor is now much larger than our
goldfish.

It is getting to the size of Koi Carp and I was wondering if beyons a
certain size the Shubunkin has a big enough mouth (and the inclination) to
eat tadpoles.

We have also had two generations of baby goldfish, but none recently, and so
there is also the worry that a large fish may be eating little baby fish
also.

If this is so we will refrain from ceremonial fish and chips and donate the
big fella to a pond which doesn't also contain wildlife :-)

Cheers

Dave R