Old 08-04-2003, 07:56 PM
dave weil

Default Missster Lincoln

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 20:43:45 GMT, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

On 6 Apr 2003 14:51:55 GMT, (lms) wrote:

I've seen some talk about this rose. Lest you ever put any other red gd
rose on a pedestal...
you'd best think again about that pedestal.
I've also heard talk of eating roses, you know, around here? Eat this one.
heheh

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/8x6mrl03.jpg

That is not remotely pretty. You need to learn that bigger is not
always better.

P. S. Bite me, chicken man.

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/ros99.htm

Speaking of Mr. Lincoln, I was at Lowe's today, picking out a new
hanging pendant for my kitchen to replace the old "granny fixture"
and, what should be by the door but some nice gallon $8.97 roses. And,
lo and behold, one of them was a very nice Mr. Lincoln with two good
sized half-opened buds on it. Because I'm jonesing for some blooms,
I'm going to forgo my own advice and not disbud this plant and just
hope for the best.

Well, that plant is now ensconsed next to my entry porch, very near
Papa Meilland, a transplanted Ingrid Bergman that I hope is going to
take, a pink (I can feel you shiver coldly, Shiva) Belami and a couple
of wildly colored Desert Peaces. It should look nice in mid-season. I
just have to remember that here, Mr. Lincoln is going to need winter
protection as it's a "Zone 7 rose". I know that it grows OK here
though, because I have a friend who has one.

So, I'm looking forward to a fragrant porch, with all of those
fragrant red and pink roses...