Old 17-08-2008, 01:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default Moles

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:45:49 -0400, "Alan Sung" wrote:

"John Bachman" wrote in message
.. .

Milky Spore lasts 15 - 20 years. I inoculated my 2 acres 10 years ago
and have not had a mole problem since then.

That sort of depends upon your climate. If the temperatures are too cold,
milky spore doesn't work that well. Ironically, you actually need some grubs
to continue your innoculation because new milky spore is only produced by
grubs ingesting it and then dying.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA (Zone 6a)

I am in NH, zone 5 and my Milky Spore is doing just fine.

It is true that new grubs are necessary to keep the spores coming but
one infested grub results in millions of new spores. It is not like
an "infestation" of grubs is needed to keep your soil inoculated.
There will certainly be adult beetles that fly in and lay their eggs
that result in grubs to feed the spores. But the spores keep the grub
population down so that moles and other grub eating critters are not a
problem.

John