Old 17-08-2008, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Another wasp nest

On 17/8/08 12:08, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:06:07 +0100, Sacha wrote:

snip

We've had honey bees and bumble bees around for a long time but of course,
in the very wet weather they don't forage. But I do remember that back in
January and on a rare fine day, we saw a huge bumble bee working over the
Lonicera purpusii by our front door.

We've had lots of bumble bees and wasps, but no honey bees until last week.
We've also had a lot of wannabe a bee/wasp flies.

About this time of year I've formed the habit of encouraging people to plant
Eupatorium. Wish I could remember to do that in the spring, too! Writers
rave about Buddleia for butterflies and other pollinating insects but
Eupatorium beats it hands down. On a sunny day I daren't weed in that area
of the garden!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com