Old 20-08-2008, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Penelope Periwinkle Penelope Periwinkle is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:32:20 -0400, "polecanoe"
wrote:

egregious top posting corrected, as is only civilized

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote
"polecanoe" wrote:
i'm sure that any reputable garden center can and will get greensand for
you. if you local home depot walmart and lowes don't have it, that is all
the more reason to demand it.

Actually, as my nephew is fond of saying, that's not correct. Garden
centers generally have to order a set amount of a product, so they're
not going to order a pallet of greensand if they don't feel like
there's a market for it in their area.

If iron is such a scarce mineral, chances are it is scarce for others as
well. You say I am incorrect. How do YOU know there is no market?

My, but haven't the sensitive lettle fleurs sprouted in my
absence.

Whether you or I think there is a market is irrelevant. Whether
nursery or garden center owners do or don't think there is, or
choose an alternative to either greensand or Ironite is their
prerogative. Those who know their market on both ends stay in
business, those who misjudge it don't. Insisting that they'll
indulge the whims of every single customer is just plain silly.

the dealers and apparently the buyers too have been duped into thinking that
the only market that exists is for quick fixes. a reputable garden center
would educate it's consumers.

Ah, I see the problem. You're defining "reputable garden center"
as only those garden centers who adopt business practices
approved by polecanoe. My definition is a bit broader.

Penelope

I've had a very, very
difficult time getting organic products since my favorite nursery
owners retired. I actually ordered 15 5 lb bags of my favorite organic
tomato and pepper fertilizer last year because none of the local
garden centers and nurseries would order it. I figure I got about a 4
or 5 year supply for my garden and my sister's. I had to call almost
every garden center and nursery in the yellow pages before I found one
that carried a good quality potting soil that has no fertilizer in it.

I was very interested in trying some of the Pro-Mix products, and we
even have a wholesale distributor locally; but I couldn't get any of
the nurseries to get some for me. The cost of shipping makes ordering
it on the web prohibitive.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

- "pointed"