Old 20-08-2008, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

Default How to dig in green manure?

On 20/08/08 01:49, Marie Dodge wrote:

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...

I have never grown a green manure before and am not clear, from what I
have read, as to how exactly I should dig in the crop before it
reaches flowering time.

Does 'digging in' simply mean turning the soil over with a fork to
incorporate as much as possible of the top-growth into the top 4 to 6
inches? If I do that, won't it continue growing and sprout up again?

Yep! I had that happen with red clover and winter rye. We couldn't get
rid of it and it wouldn't die.

Or do I use a spade and start trenching and totally bury the growth
from one trench-line into the bottom of the previous trench-line? -
sort of like double digging. If so, that does sound like a lot of work.

It is. Get plenty of BenGay and Aspirin. Did it once... and never again.

Please help!

Ed

I guess another option would be to spray the green manure with
glyphosate and let it die off before digging in.

But I wonder if I would loose any beneficial effects if I do that?

Ed