Old 20-08-2008, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default How to dig in green manure?

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...

I have never grown a green manure before and am not clear, from what I
have read, as to how exactly I should dig in the crop before it reaches
flowering time.

Does 'digging in' simply mean turning the soil over with a fork to
incorporate as much as possible of the top-growth into the top 4 to 6
inches? If I do that, won't it continue growing and sprout up again?

Yep! I had that happen with red clover and winter rye. We couldn't get rid
of it and it wouldn't die.

Or do I use a spade and start trenching and totally bury the growth from
one trench-line into the bottom of the previous trench-line? - sort of
like double digging. If so, that does sound like a lot of work.

It is. Get plenty of BenGay and Aspirin. Did it once... and never again.

Please help!

Ed

Old 20-08-2008, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 20/08/08 01:49, Marie Dodge wrote:

[...]

I guess another option would be to spray the green manure with
glyphosate and let it die off before digging in.

But I wonder if I would loose any beneficial effects if I do that?

Ed

Old 20-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered User

[/i][/color]

I guess another option would be to spray the green manure with
glyphosate and let it die off before digging in.

But I wonder if I would loose any beneficial effects if I do that?

Ed[/quote]

By using a weedkiller, you are losing any possible benefit. Cut off the green manure, then dig it in. As with so many "natural" techniques, hard labour is part of the picture. There are rarely short cuts.
Old 22-08-2008, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
I guess another option would be to spray the green manure with glyphosate
and let it die off before digging in.

But I wonder if I would loose any beneficial effects if I do that?

I couldn't tell you but I'll never grow green cover crops again. I switched
to sheet composting with shredded yard and garden waste and piles of leaves.
All are turned under in early spring with fertilizer and the gardens tilled
a few times before being planted. First in are the lettuce, collards and
beets.

Ed