Old 20-08-2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
Bob Terwilliger Bob Terwilliger is offline

Default Excess cucumber

Steve replied to Poe about cucumber-infused vodka:

Yum. Any good cocktail recipes to go along? We have loads of cukes right
now, and I am using them every which way. This sounds like a good use
for us, as we're hoping to do various vodka infusions with our garden
produce.

I like simply adding it to iced tea. It's good with cantaloupe juice, but
that might be more time and trouble than it's worth to you: To juice a
cantaloupe without getting a bunch of pulp, purée chunks of cantaloupe in a
food processor. Put the purée into a strainer lined with a couple layers of
cheesecloth, and put the strainer over a bowl. Set the bowl in the
refrigerator and let the juice drip out for a day. (See what I mean about
the time and trouble? But it's a useful technique; you can do the same thing
with tomatoes, watermelons, or pears, none of which lend themselves well to
"normal" juicing.)

Cucumber-infused vodka is good in a Bloody Mary, or with fresh carrot juice.
It's a good base for an oyster shooter.

Cucumber vodka is fairly popular at infusion bars. It is good
just served up, but the most common combinations I see are
with mint or ginger.

For example: cucumber vodka, muddled mint, a small amount of
bar syrup and a bit a of soda water.

I agree with all that, and I'll add that you can use basil instead of mint.
You can make an interesting drink by blending cucumber-infused vodka, dill,
roasted cumin, yogurt, and ice water. (Kind of a tzatziki-in-a-glass!)

Bob