Old 15-08-2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Default Excess cucumber

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:42:24 -0700 (PDT), James wrote:

Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without too much work?

Cucumber Kimchee

3 cucumbers; peeled
1-tablespoon salt
1-tablespoon red pepper powder
1-tablespoon garlic; minced
2 green onions; sliced

Seed the cucumbers and cut them into 1" pieces. Sprinkle with salt and
let sit for 3 hours in a colander.

Rinse and pat dry.

Add the red pepper powder, garlic and green onions. Mix.

Chill for 24 hours.

It's the perfect accompaniment to:

-------

Bulgoki

1 lb. lean beef (for example, sirloin tip)
1 T. sugar
2 1/2 T. soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 medium green onions, thinly sliced
1 t. sesame seed, toasted and lightly pounded
1/8 t. black pepper
1/2 t. sesame oil

Cut the beef against the grain into thin slices about 1/4" thick. Place
the beef in a bowl and add the sugar. Mix well and let stand for 10
minutes.

Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well. Marinate for at least
two hours before cooking.

Grill on a charcoal fire or oven-broil at 450F for about 1 minute on
each side until browned.

-----

Personally I like to stir-fry the beef in a wok with the marinade and
serve with white rice.

Bulgoki, rice and cucumber kimchee. All that's missing is a bottle of
Soju.

--

-Jeff B.

"Excuse me.
I don't mean to impose,
but I am the Ocean."

~ The Salton Sea
Old 17-08-2008, 07:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Tuna boats. :-) (or alternative stuffings)

Peel cucumber, slice it down the middle and remove the seeds with a
spoon to make the "boat".

Stuff with Tuna salad or peanut butter, or anything else you'd stuff a
celery stick with.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 18-08-2008, 12:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:

Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a
lot of cucumber without too much work?

I shredded a bunch of cucumbers and put them into vodka. Let sit for a few
weeks and then strain through a coffee filter to get cucumber-infused vodka.

Bob

Old 18-08-2008, 11:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
Poe Poe is offline

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
James wrote:

Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a
lot of cucumber without too much work?

I shredded a bunch of cucumbers and put them into vodka. Let sit for a few
weeks and then strain through a coffee filter to get cucumber-infused vodka.

Bob

Yum. Any good cocktail recipes to go along? We have loads of cukes right
now, and I am using them every which way. This sounds like a good use
for us, as we're hoping to do various vodka infusions with our garden
produce.
Old 18-08-2008, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Poe wrote:

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
James wrote:

Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a
lot of cucumber without too much work?

I shredded a bunch of cucumbers and put them into vodka. Let sit for a few
weeks and then strain through a coffee filter to get cucumber-infused vodka.

Bob

Yum. Any good cocktail recipes to go along? We have loads of cukes right
now, and I am using them every which way. This sounds like a good use
for us, as we're hoping to do various vodka infusions with our garden
produce.

If you have strawberries, vodka infusion works especially well with
those. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Old 19-08-2008, 03:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Poe wrote:

I shredded a bunch of cucumbers and put them into vodka. Let sit for a few
weeks and then strain through a coffee filter to get cucumber-infused vodka.

Yum. Any good cocktail recipes to go along? We have loads of cukes right
now, and I am using them every which way. This sounds like a good use
for us, as we're hoping to do various vodka infusions with our garden
produce.

Cucumber vodka is fairly popular at infusion bars. It is good
just served up, but the most common combinations I see are
with mint or ginger.

For example: cucumber vodka, muddled mint, a small amount of
bar syrup and a bit a of soda water.

Steve

Old 19-08-2008, 02:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:

If you have strawberries, vodka infusion works especially well with
those. ;-d

OM!!!!!!!!!!!!! How lovely to see you posting

Old 19-08-2008, 04:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Ophelia" wrote:

Omelet wrote:

If you have strawberries, vodka infusion works especially well with
those. ;-d

OM!!!!!!!!!!!!! How lovely to see you posting

From rec.gardens.edible. :-)

Cheers O'!
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 19-08-2008, 04:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"Ophelia" wrote:

Omelet wrote:

If you have strawberries, vodka infusion works especially well with
those. ;-d

OM!!!!!!!!!!!!! How lovely to see you posting

From rec.gardens.edible. :-)

OK

Cheers O'!

Old 20-08-2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Steve replied to Poe about cucumber-infused vodka:

Yum. Any good cocktail recipes to go along? We have loads of cukes right
now, and I am using them every which way. This sounds like a good use
for us, as we're hoping to do various vodka infusions with our garden
produce.

I like simply adding it to iced tea. It's good with cantaloupe juice, but
that might be more time and trouble than it's worth to you: To juice a
cantaloupe without getting a bunch of pulp, purée chunks of cantaloupe in a
food processor. Put the purée into a strainer lined with a couple layers of
cheesecloth, and put the strainer over a bowl. Set the bowl in the
refrigerator and let the juice drip out for a day. (See what I mean about
the time and trouble? But it's a useful technique; you can do the same thing
with tomatoes, watermelons, or pears, none of which lend themselves well to
"normal" juicing.)

Cucumber-infused vodka is good in a Bloody Mary, or with fresh carrot juice.
It's a good base for an oyster shooter.

Cucumber vodka is fairly popular at infusion bars. It is good
just served up, but the most common combinations I see are
with mint or ginger.

For example: cucumber vodka, muddled mint, a small amount of
bar syrup and a bit a of soda water.

I agree with all that, and I'll add that you can use basil instead of mint.
You can make an interesting drink by blending cucumber-infused vodka, dill,
roasted cumin, yogurt, and ice water. (Kind of a tzatziki-in-a-glass!)

Bob