Old 20-08-2008, 11:28 PM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default On for young and old?

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Anyone doing any serious Spring planting yet?

I have trays of seeds in my plastic "glasshouse" is about it. We are
still
getting quite heavy frosts regularly so they won't be put out for a while.

Those frosts are becoming boring. We got a -8 the other night.

I am still digging sweet potato from last season, a few are rotten but
most
are good. The globe artichokes are looking great but despite regular
inspection there is no sign of flower stalks yet. If they produce as well
as
they look now I am going to have to eat artichokes several times a week
come
October. It'll be tough but I'll struggle on. Fried artichoke, pickled,
roasted, braised, steamed, fricasseed, stuffed, vinigarette, salad,
compote,
potted and artichoke pie, at least.

:-)) I might get some recipes from you if mine all take. I transplanted
about 10 the other day and that is just one lot I need to do. If they
survive (and they look pretty ghastly ATM) I might end up in a similar
situation as you.

My roses and fruit trees are budding with a couple of early starters
having
first bud burst but it's early yet.

Yeah, mine are all budding too but not a lot else. I did stick in some
rocket seeds as an experiment and they were up in about 5 days. I also have
self seeded coriander but other than that.........