Old 18-08-2008, 10:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default On for young and old?

Anyone doing any serious Spring planting yet?

Old 18-08-2008, 11:57 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

Anyone doing any serious Spring planting yet?

Night time temps between 0 & 5 Not Bl**dy likely yet. Sunny Toowoomba

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old 19-08-2008, 03:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

"SG1" wrote in message

Anyone doing any serious Spring planting yet?

Night time temps between 0 & 5 Not Bl**dy likely yet. Sunny Toowoomba

:-)) Our temps are still below zero in the mornings but I'm itching to get
planting. I was hoping there would be some signs of Spring somewhere round
the country.

Old 19-08-2008, 07:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

Anyone doing any serious Spring planting yet?

I've never gardened before but I have just sown in containers a couple of
silver beet ,onion and tomato seed seeds.

All sitting in a styrofoam fruit box with glass over the top, some are actually
sprouting. I will try growing vegies in the boxes as the garden areas here are
all in shady northern aspects.. dark and gloomy.
The vegies are all heirloom varieties so I'm curious to see what happens and
what they taste like.

Located in Melbourne which seems to be warming up some, nights are still cool.
--
faeychild
Old 19-08-2008, 09:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Anyone doing any serious Spring planting yet?

I have trays of seeds in my plastic "glasshouse" is about it. We are still
getting quite heavy frosts regularly so they won't be put out for a while.

I am still digging sweet potato from last season, a few are rotten but most
are good. The globe artichokes are looking great but despite regular
inspection there is no sign of flower stalks yet. If they produce as well as
they look now I am going to have to eat artichokes several times a week come
October. It'll be tough but I'll struggle on. Fried artichoke, pickled,
roasted, braised, steamed, fricasseed, stuffed, vinigarette, salad, compote,
potted and artichoke pie, at least.

My roses and fruit trees are budding with a couple of early starters having
first bud burst but it's early yet.

David

Old 20-08-2008, 11:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Anyone doing any serious Spring planting yet?

I have trays of seeds in my plastic "glasshouse" is about it. We are
still
getting quite heavy frosts regularly so they won't be put out for a while.

Those frosts are becoming boring. We got a -8 the other night.

I am still digging sweet potato from last season, a few are rotten but
most
are good. The globe artichokes are looking great but despite regular
inspection there is no sign of flower stalks yet. If they produce as well
as
they look now I am going to have to eat artichokes several times a week
come
October. It'll be tough but I'll struggle on. Fried artichoke, pickled,
roasted, braised, steamed, fricasseed, stuffed, vinigarette, salad,
compote,
potted and artichoke pie, at least.

:-)) I might get some recipes from you if mine all take. I transplanted
about 10 the other day and that is just one lot I need to do. If they
survive (and they look pretty ghastly ATM) I might end up in a similar
situation as you.

My roses and fruit trees are budding with a couple of early starters
having
first bud burst but it's early yet.

Yeah, mine are all budding too but not a lot else. I did stick in some
rocket seeds as an experiment and they were up in about 5 days. I also have
self seeded coriander but other than that.........

Old 26-08-2008, 06:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Aug 18, 7:47*pm, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
Anyone doing any serious Spring planting yet?

Getting really anxious for spring to come!
Last weekend I planted tomatoes, eggplant, squash, okra, carrots,
cucumber and capsicum seeds on my mini plastic seed greenhouse..
I'll wait for them to sprout and then to the growing fields they'll
go.

A few weeks ago I planted some lettuce, but.. They don't really count,
do they.

This weekend we're expecting temperatures of about 20 degrees --
Hopefully the weather will remain pleasant.
Old 29-08-2008, 12:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

Anyone doing any serious Spring planting yet?

no.

i did some seeds after solstice, everything is ok but still going verrrryy
slowly. did some punnets, the contents of which won't be ready to plant out
until spring, if that counts .

just today, the buds on one of the peach trees have started to burst & you
can see pink!!!!!!!

i can't wait for spring - it's been a miserable winter for me. spring should
hit next week, right on schedule ;-)
kylie