Old 21-08-2008, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ivan Ivan is offline

Default What to do with heavy soil..

On Aug 21, 12:33*pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:08:57 -0700 (PDT), Ivan
wrote:

I read that I should soak the tree in diluted seaweed solution, is
this correct?
What is a 'slick sided hole'?

Actually, it's exactly perfect to do because liquid seaweed has
properties which stimulate root development.

A slick sided hole is where you put the shovel into the soil and the
sides of the hole are smooth. *Picture cement which smooth. *Now
picture cement which has a rake dragged through it making ruts. *Those
ruts in the hole you make by roughing it up will be the places where
new roots can enter the soil after it outgrows the hole you dug. *Does
this make sense?

Makes sense.
Thank you kindly!

I'll keep all these in mind and plan out my planting schedule.

Thanks again for all your help!