Old 19-08-2008, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What to do with heavy soil..

On Aug 17, 1:01*pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:19:50 -0500, "Marie Dodge"

wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

Let's see. It's half past August now, how many nurseries in your
area are having bare root sales Jang?
--

Snips!

I live in zone 6 and anything bare root this time of year is DEAD.

I think the original poster lives in the southern hemisphere, which
would put them at the end of winter coming up soon.

That'd be correct -- End of winter in 10 days .. Though we've been
rather low temperatures with heavy rains and some frosts in the
morning, so I'm expecting winter climate to be around for another
month still.... :S
Ah well, that's a whole month more I get to prepare my garden!!

Though the trees in the nurseries are already flowering .. ....
Old 19-08-2008, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

Let's see. It's half past August now, how many nurseries in your
area are having bare root sales Jang?
--

Snips!

I live in zone 6 and anything bare root this time of year is DEAD.

I think the original poster lives in the southern hemisphere, which
would put them at the end of winter coming up soon.

That'd be correct -- End of winter in 10 days .. Though we've been
rather low temperatures with heavy rains and some frosts in the
morning, so I'm expecting winter climate to be around for another
month still.... :S
Ah well, that's a whole month more I get to prepare my garden!!

Though the trees in the nurseries are already flowering .. ....

I thought you chaps were supposed to have an .au,an .nz, or a uk
after your signature. There you have it. Google has made us all
equal, origin: indigenous.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 20-08-2008, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 19, 12:36*pm, Jangchub wrote:

wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

Let's see. It's half past August now, how many nurseries in your
area are having bare root sales Jang?
--

Snips!

I live in zone 6 and anything bare root this time of year is DEAD.

I think the original poster lives in the southern hemisphere, which
would put them at the end of winter coming up soon.

That'd be correct -- End of winter in 10 days .. Though we've been
rather low temperatures with heavy rains and some frosts in the
morning, so I'm expecting winter climate to be around for another
month still.... :S
Ah well, that's a whole month more I get to prepare my garden!!

Though the trees in the nurseries are already flowering .. ....

It is time to plant fruit trees now where you live. *I plant them in
February about six weeks before spring officially arrives in March.
So, opposite from you. *Did you know there is a newsgroup for Aussies?- Hide quoted text -

I didn't know there was an Australian newsgroup.
In any case, I dug a hole in the front yard.. And found that, after
digging about the depth of the spade, I started digging out gravel ..

I kept going as much as I could but didn't want to damage my shovel..

I filled the hole with water and .. About 15 minutes later, the water
was gone ..

Filled it up again, and .. It took about 20 minutes, but again, the
water was all gone ..

Perhaps it's not really as heavy with clay as I had originally
thought!

In any case, I dumped a bag of cow manure and some mushroom compost
and mixed it in a bit as much as I could with the soil in the hole ..
And will leave it open for a while ..
We're expecting heavy rains for the next day or two, so ....
I have no idea what that'll do, I'm hoping it'll mix a bit of the
manure and compost and spread it around a bit ....

Pebbles underground: good or bad?

Old 21-08-2008, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 21, 9:04*am, Jangchub wrote:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:09:36 -0700 (PDT), Ivan
wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's aus.gardens if you'd like to find it.

I *never recommend amending the soil you are planting in. *It's better
to leave the soil as it is and to top dress the soil with some compost
and then mulch. * When digging a hole, do not make a slick sided hole,
really jag it up to be rough. *It will help roots to get out into that
soil which was not churned in planting. *

Well draining soil is very good. *When you plant the tree make sure
the trunk flare is well above the soil line. *It's better to plant the
tree not deep enough, rather than too deeply which will eventually
kill the tree. *Never mulch right up to the bark, but do mulch. *You
can soak the bare root tree in luke warm water or room temperature
water over night before you plant it. *Best of luck.

v- Hide quoted text -

I read that I should soak the tree in diluted seaweed solution, is
this correct?
What is a 'slick sided hole'?
Old 21-08-2008, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 21, 12:33*pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:08:57 -0700 (PDT), Ivan
wrote:

I read that I should soak the tree in diluted seaweed solution, is
this correct?
What is a 'slick sided hole'?

Actually, it's exactly perfect to do because liquid seaweed has
properties which stimulate root development.

A slick sided hole is where you put the shovel into the soil and the
sides of the hole are smooth. *Picture cement which smooth. *Now
picture cement which has a rake dragged through it making ruts. *Those
ruts in the hole you make by roughing it up will be the places where
new roots can enter the soil after it outgrows the hole you dug. *Does
this make sense?

Makes sense.
Thank you kindly!

I'll keep all these in mind and plan out my planting schedule.

Thanks again for all your help!

[IMG] code is On

Heavy soil [email protected] United Kingdom 15 19-05-2005 09:00 PM
[IBC] Making your own soil? (light vs heavy) Pat Patterson Bonsai 3 20-04-2004 09:02 AM
Vegetables in heavy soil Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 9 18-04-2004 02:29 AM
heavy clay soil aj United Kingdom 3 26-05-2003 09:44 PM
What can I do with heavy water logged soil? KW United Kingdom 9 12-03-2003 08:02 PM