Old 08-04-2003, 10:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Vine pruning - when?

In article ,
David Rance wrote:
On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Nick Maclaren wrote:

The trouble is that you can't tell leaf buds (which I want) from
shoot ones (which I don't) at this stage.

?? On a vine they're one and the same thing.

That's the point. As they develop, some will produce a leaf or two
and stop, and others will produce long shoots with leaves all along
them. Lacking prescience, I can't tell which buds will do which,
and there are places I want the former but not the latter.

How strange! I haven't come across that on vineyard vines. What
particular variety of vine do you have?

Hang on. I did say it was V. coignetae, but that may have got lost!

A couple of my V. vinifera do the same, but I think that it is a
matter of pruning rather than variety. I.e. two that are cuttings
from the same source behave differently - the one that I prune as
recommended for grapes grows in 'your' fashion and the one that is
hanging around in a pot grows unpredictably.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.