Old 08-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Jutta

Default Climbing Hydrangea

climbing hydrangea doesn't need wires to cling to. It will cling to the wall - I
have one and only have a trellis that's in the ground but the branches have
grown beyond it and have little suction cups against the wall.

"Trish K." wrote:

I have no clue what a motor hoist is, but could you use it to hoist a
thing for the hydrangea to climb? Cracked metal dodads and cables would
be thematic and a bunch of big springs? like something forgotten in the
middle of it's doing, and left to time. The hydrangea bark is pretty in
winter, but would it be be artificial with wires? Or you could grow a
wild vine and let the hydrtangea climb that, when the wild vine gets big
cut it, then wire that, hydrangea take a while to move, some vine in my
yard grows 3 feet or more a year. Once the hydrange get fixed there
though, it's darn right stout.

^TK

Timothy wrote:

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:02:01 +0000, Brs36 wrote:

Hi,
Last year I planted a climbing hydrangea at the base of an unused motor
hoist in my backyard. I see that the hydrangea lasted the winter and is
starting to green. Right now I have it climbing (if you can call a 12
inch plant climbing) the small trellis that came in the pot when I
bought the plant. Hopefully, this plant will out grow it. If and when
it does, I'd like to get the hydrangea to climb up the motor hoist. Any
thoughts as to how I could get that to happen? The hoist itself is
metal and too slick for the hydrangea to climb on its own. I was think
of making some kind of wire structure to support it on its way up. Other
possibilities?

i'd have to say that your zone is 7a or 7b.Either or should work 80)
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-ne1.html

It was requested by one of my customers to plant climbing hydrangea on 3
down spouts on their property. I ended up wraping 3 foot tall chicken
wire around the pipe and zip tied the climbing hydrangea (loosly mind you)
to the wire. It took 2 seasons for the climbing hydrangea to cover the 3
foot wire. They somewhat attach themselves to the wire... I do the rest
with bread bag ties and zip ties. Good luck.