Old 22-08-2008, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Frederick Williams[_2_] Frederick Williams[_2_] is offline

Default Replacement for grass

Sacha wrote:

On 21/8/08 14:40, in article , "Frederick
Williams" wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,

says...
What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

THere are many substitutes for light-zero traffic but grass is the only
one that will take wear

The lawn, or whatever the right word may be, will only be walked on
infrequently.

Why? I ask this because what it's going to be used for is paramount in
designing *any* area of a garden. Your infrequent might be once a month but
someone else's might be twice a day. Is yours to be decorative and a sort
of 'garden curiosity' or will you take garden furniture there and use a
barbecue in warm weather etc?

A short border runs along one side of the lawn. The lawn will be walked
over for weeding and pruning.

A washing line runs above the lawn. The lawn will be walked over by the
hanger-up of laundry.

The lawn will be mowed infrequently and not short.

That's it.

--
He is not here; but far away
The noise of life begins again