Old 22-08-2008, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Replacement for grass

On 22/8/08 13:15, in article , "Frederick
Williams" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 21/8/08 14:40, in article
, "Frederick
Williams" wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,

says...
What may one make a lawn with other than grass? I think I heard violets
mentioned somewhere, really? or did I imagine it?

THere are many substitutes for light-zero traffic but grass is the only
one that will take wear

The lawn, or whatever the right word may be, will only be walked on
infrequently.

Why? I ask this because what it's going to be used for is paramount in
designing *any* area of a garden. Your infrequent might be once a month but
someone else's might be twice a day. Is yours to be decorative and a sort
of 'garden curiosity' or will you take garden furniture there and use a
barbecue in warm weather etc?

A short border runs along one side of the lawn. The lawn will be walked
over for weeding and pruning.

A washing line runs above the lawn. The lawn will be walked over by the
hanger-up of laundry.

The lawn will be mowed infrequently and not short.

That's it.

Would it be more useful to you if you just paved over it? Or you could let
it go wild and call it 'the wildflower lawn', just mowing a two-people wide
path through it to the washing line and border! Cut it back in autumn.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com