Old 23-08-2008, 02:00 AM
Bigal Bigal is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
About to buy a 10' x 8' metal greenhouse with double doors and 4 roof vents.
Offered as an accessory is a louvre vent to put low down at the end away from the door, is it worth spending the extra £40 on it or use the money to buy other things?
And in the best style of gardeners question time what else should I but :-)
I put my vent up high to put an extension lead through when I want heating. My greenhouse has been up for 20 years and the heating has been very handy at times. My garden also has soil which drains well so I was able to dig a 2 foot hole big enough to take the greenhouse, line it with a wall and erect the greenhouse on top of it. I have covered the floor with breeze blocks which allows full drainage of all water.
Of course I have to grow everything in pots or growbags. I grow my tomatoes (gardeners delight is my favourite) in 8 to 10 litre containers, and the added height of my greenhouse allows them to grow up to 10 feet tall. At that height I get about 8lb a plant. I prefer pots to growbags as they allow the bottom truss to overhang the pot and keeping those few tomatoes cleaner. Worth the £40.
Bigal West Wales