Old 22-08-2008, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default new greenhouse accessories

"Granity" wrote in message

About to buy a 10' x 8' metal greenhouse with double doors and 4 roof
vents.
Offered as an accessory is a louvre vent to put low down at the end
away from the door, is it worth spending the extra £40 on it or use the
money to buy other things?
And in the best style of gardeners question time what else should I but
:-)

Automatic vent openers.

Mary

Old 22-08-2008, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Granity" wrote

About to buy a 10' x 8' metal greenhouse with double doors and 4 roof
vents.
Offered as an accessory is a louvre vent to put low down at the end
away from the door, is it worth spending the extra £40 on it or use the
money to buy other things?
And in the best style of gardeners question time what else should I but
:-)

I would say yes, the louvers allow an air circulation through the house
where hot air rises out of the top vents and cooler air is sucked in at the
bottom to replace it. With the last two summers you may think this a waste
of time/money but one hot summer and you will reap the benefit. Some might
say just leave the door open but that is not always a good policy as animals
get in and can damage plants or leave a deposit (experience of both!).

Automatic louver openers are available as well as the normal automatic top
vent openers and these are a must IMO, especially in this country when you
can get three seasons in one day.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Old 22-08-2008, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

I would say yes, the louvers allow an air circulation through the house

where hot air rises out of the top vents and cooler air is sucked in at
the bottom to replace it. With the last two summers you may think this a
waste of time/money but one hot summer and you will reap the benefit. Some
might say just leave the door open but that is not always a good policy as
animals get in and can damage plants or leave a deposit (experience of
both!).

Automatic louver openers are available as well as the normal automatic top
vent openers and these are a must IMO, especially in this country when you
can get three seasons in one day.

--

" use the
money to buy other things?"

No - it will be money well spent.
I do not agree with Bob however - door opening forms an important
ventilation aid.
You just have to train your visitors better !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 23-08-2008, 02:00 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
About to buy a 10' x 8' metal greenhouse with double doors and 4 roof vents.
Offered as an accessory is a louvre vent to put low down at the end away from the door, is it worth spending the extra £40 on it or use the money to buy other things?
And in the best style of gardeners question time what else should I but :-)
I put my vent up high to put an extension lead through when I want heating. My greenhouse has been up for 20 years and the heating has been very handy at times. My garden also has soil which drains well so I was able to dig a 2 foot hole big enough to take the greenhouse, line it with a wall and erect the greenhouse on top of it. I have covered the floor with breeze blocks which allows full drainage of all water.
Of course I have to grow everything in pots or growbags. I grow my tomatoes (gardeners delight is my favourite) in 8 to 10 litre containers, and the added height of my greenhouse allows them to grow up to 10 feet tall. At that height I get about 8lb a plant. I prefer pots to growbags as they allow the bottom truss to overhang the pot and keeping those few tomatoes cleaner. Worth the £40.
Bigal West Wales

Old 23-08-2008, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Granity" wrote in message

Thanks for the thoughts, vent it is then, It has built in guttering so
water will be collected, Power, I have an outside skt so for now it
will be an ext lead I think. I was planing 2 auto vents at the moment
because of the costs of it all
:-(

If you only have two automatic vents with four vents you'll be sorry!

Look, you pay for something on one day and you've forgotten about it the
next, or at least in a week. Do it, you won't be sorry.

Mary

Old 23-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Charlie Pridham[_2_
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Charlie Pridham[_2_
Automatic vent openers x4 and a water supply either inside or just
outside and if you can a power supply.
And of course a bigger greenhouse, can bet what ever size you buy will
not be big enough
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Thanks for the thoughts, vent it is then, It has built in guttering so water will be collected, Power, I have an outside skt so for now it will be an ext lead I think. I was planing 2 auto vents at the moment because of the costs of it all
:-(

Point taken about as big as possible but that's the largest possible without breaking up the existing symmetry and the one who must be obeyed is not happy as it is, she can't see why the 8x6 isn't big enough
Old 23-08-2008, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

About to buy a 10' x 8' metal greenhouse with double doors and 4 roof
vents.
Offered as an accessory is a louvre vent to put low down at the end
away from the door, is it worth spending the extra £40 on it or use the
money to buy other things?
And in the best style of gardeners question time what else should I but
:-)

I'm getting a rhino in a month and that has two vents as standard,
however if you have the free standing benches it would be a devil of a
job to open them as the handle comes forward so you have the free
standing benches moved forward a little. I preferred that as i wanted
the double shelving. ones in front
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 24-08-2008, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

I'm getting a rhino in a month and that has two vents as standard,

snip

Janet, I cannot begin to tell you how much that first sentence worried me!
I thought you'd emigrated! ;-))

Well at least it has two vents as standard!

NEVER, ever emigrate, wouldn't be able to moan about the cost of the
next Olympics etc. if i did that....
oh, to be in England now that rain is here
Old 24-08-2008, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/8/08 10:46, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

I'm getting a rhino in a month and that has two vents as standard,

snip

Janet, I cannot begin to tell you how much that first sentence worried me!
I thought you'd emigrated! ;-))

Well at least it has two vents as standard!

Oh dear - I had this vision of you starting up your own safari park and
going in for rhinos instead of dalmatians. ;-)

NEVER, ever emigrate, wouldn't be able to moan about the cost of the
next Olympics etc. if i did that....

I'm afraid we've barely watched any of it because we're not really into
sport. I'm delighted for the athletes that they've done so well but
otherwise, it leaves me cold.

oh, to be in England now that rain is here

Here, there and every damned where!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com