Old 09-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Jim

Default Rhubarb

"zhanataya" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:06:12 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
When does rhubarb come up? I planted some last year but have not seen

any
come up yet this year. I live in central Maryland - Zone 6.

I live in Frederick, MD. Tried twice to grow rhubarb. Once it lasted

one
year and once it lasted 2 years and just went away.

I have since have grown it as an annual from seed. Start it in the fall

in
1 gal containers -- keep it under lights over winter -- harvest it the

next
summer. Generally get enough for one pie. Which is about all I ever

eat
anyway.

That's got to be one *expensive* pie. ;-)

zhan

Actually I didn't tell the whole story. I start the seeds under lights --
but for the most part they are either outdoors or in our fairly large
south-facing sunroom. Seeds cost about $2.00. But I guess your right I
could probably buy a bunch at the super for what I spend -- or a pie for
that matter. But then what would I do to entertain myself.

Jim