Old 23-08-2008, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon Filby Gordon Filby is offline

Default madeira plant

Hallo,

You're dead right! Putting "picture of Tradescantia spathacea" gives
practically the picture I sent right at the top of the hit list!

Looking through some of the information, it seems more like something to be
avoided.

Many thanks for all replies.

Gordon in Karlsruhe, Germany

"Sacha" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On 23/8/08 08:44, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,

says...
Hallo,

On a recent trip to Madeira, I was struck by some plants in our hotel
garden.

They have long spearlike leaves with the outer surface of purple colour,
and
the inner surface normal green. Our friendly hotel gardener supplied us
with
a few and I have now had them here(SW Germany) for everal weeks.

Does anyone recognise them from this rather poor description, and if
so,
can they help with any information, such as name and best way to look
after
them?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon Filby

OK, Gordon has now sent me a picture (Which I don't recognise - which
means it will be something obvious!) anyway I have put it up in the hope
someone else will recognize it
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/bild025.jpg

At a guess only, Tradescantia spathacea.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com