Old 23-08-2008, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Saving onion seeds

Wilson wrote:
I know that I can buy seeds (not talking about onion sets), but I've got
two onions that have produced nice 3" flower heads that seem to still be
blooming. What I'm wondering is how long should the flower heads be kept
for the seed to viable? I mean should the flowers all die and the head
change color or what? The flowers right now are such a light green as to
almost be blue.
TIA

When they are ripe, the flower heads will be a bleached-out tan (or
straw) color, with black seeds visible inside. Onion seeds are only
good for about 1 year, so don't try to save them for 2 or 3 years
because that doesn't work very well.

Bob