Old 23-08-2008, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Saving onion seeds

I know that I can buy seeds (not talking about onion sets), but I've got two
onions that have produced nice 3" flower heads that seem to still be
blooming. What I'm wondering is how long should the flower heads be kept for
the seed to viable? I mean should the flowers all die and the head change
color or what? The flowers right now are such a light green as to almost be
blue.
TIA
--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"
Old 23-08-2008, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wilson wrote:
I know that I can buy seeds (not talking about onion sets), but I've got
two onions that have produced nice 3" flower heads that seem to still be
blooming. What I'm wondering is how long should the flower heads be kept
for the seed to viable? I mean should the flowers all die and the head
change color or what? The flowers right now are such a light green as to
almost be blue.
TIA

When they are ripe, the flower heads will be a bleached-out tan (or
straw) color, with black seeds visible inside. Onion seeds are only
good for about 1 year, so don't try to save them for 2 or 3 years
because that doesn't work very well.

Bob
Old 24-08-2008, 05:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

the onion seeds will grow, don't know if you will get onions or if
that takes 2 years. but you can definately get green onions if you
plant them in the spring.

Simon

Old 25-08-2008, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Wilson wrote:

I know that I can buy seeds (not talking about onion sets), but I've got two
onions that have produced nice 3" flower heads that seem to still be
blooming. What I'm wondering is how long should the flower heads be kept for
the seed to viable? I mean should the flowers all die and the head change
color or what? The flowers right now are such a light green as to almost be
blue.
TIA

Until the pods are dry.

I get chives coming back from seeds every year and they spread from the
pots to the ground because I did not gather all the seeds. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 25-08-2008, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past Omelet posted this:
In article ,
Wilson wrote:

I know that I can buy seeds (not talking about onion sets), but I've got two
onions that have produced nice 3" flower heads that seem to still be
blooming. What I'm wondering is how long should the flower heads be kept for
the seed to viable? I mean should the flowers all die and the head change
color or what? The flowers right now are such a light green as to almost be
blue.
TIA

Until the pods are dry.

I get chives coming back from seeds every year and they spread from the
pots to the ground because I did not gather all the seeds. ;-)

That may be so(w), Omelet, the re-seeding part that is. But it appears that
"The chive is a bulb-forming herbaceous *perennial* plant." So whether or
not you gathered all the seeds, the plant would come back year after year.

I have a small clump of chives, never gather the seeds and the clump changes
little in size from year to year.

Happy gardening! Been a cold, slow, damp summer here - still waiting for a
red tomato ;-)

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"

Old 25-08-2008, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wilson wrote:

[...]

I understand that, but it's the seeds that made them _spread_! g

I have a small clump of chives, never gather the seeds and the clump changes
little in size from year to year.

Happy gardening! Been a cold, slow, damp summer here - still waiting for a
red tomato ;-)

I'm waiting for cooler fall weather...
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 25-08-2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wilson wrote:

[...]

I just picked my first tomatoes this weekend (that's really late.)
Won't get enough this year to can or freeze, but I've been eating lots
of tomato sandwiches and fresh salsa. The plants have just come down
with late blight; hopefully I can save them with some fungicide.

Oddly enough (but in a good way), the hot peppers have done really well
this year.

Bob