Old 24-08-2008, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Isabella Woodhouse Isabella Woodhouse is offline

Default Progress Report

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Isabella Woodhouse" wrote in message
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

There is so much resistance or immunity in the pests today that many
insecticides are almost useless.

To the extent this is true, this is why natural controls are better over
the long haul.

Where were the "natural" controls when the first spiders and WFs arrived?

In the garden with your unicorn, eating the lilies.

People managed to farm for thousands of years without
Malathion, Sevin, and the myriad of other toxic substances that are
harming both the environment and animals including humans.

And famines were common when crop failures occurred. Remember the potato
famine in Ireland and the Rice famine in China? Chemical sprays didn't exist
in those days. At times insects or viral or bacterial disease became so
invasive thousands of acres of crops were wiped out. My grandparents told me
about hunger caused by crop failure in Europe in the early part last
Century. Where do you get the idea crops remained healthy and the land
'balanced' in the past? There were insects and plant diseases back then as
there are now.

Hornswoggle. I didn't say crops always remained healthy or that
everything was always balanced, Marie. You did. You put forth that
straw-man, another of your many inventions, in an effort to give your
relentless nattering credibility. I simply said people managed to farm
for thousands of years without Malathion and Sevin--- a fact you cannot
argue.

And with that, I terminate this pointless discussion since anything else
I have to say would be in very bad form.
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot