Old 25-08-2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Saving onion seeds

Wilson wrote:
sometime in the recent past Omelet posted this:
In article ,
Wilson wrote:

I know that I can buy seeds (not talking about onion sets), but I've
got two onions that have produced nice 3" flower heads that seem to
still be blooming. What I'm wondering is how long should the flower
heads be kept for the seed to viable? I mean should the flowers all
die and the head change color or what? The flowers right now are such
a light green as to almost be blue.
TIA

Until the pods are dry.

I get chives coming back from seeds every year and they spread from
the pots to the ground because I did not gather all the seeds. ;-)

That may be so(w), Omelet, the re-seeding part that is. But it appears
that "The chive is a bulb-forming herbaceous *perennial* plant." So
whether or not you gathered all the seeds, the plant would come back
year after year.

I have a small clump of chives, never gather the seeds and the clump
changes little in size from year to year.

Happy gardening! Been a cold, slow, damp summer here - still waiting for
a red tomato ;-)

I just picked my first tomatoes this weekend (that's really late.)
Won't get enough this year to can or freeze, but I've been eating lots
of tomato sandwiches and fresh salsa. The plants have just come down
with late blight; hopefully I can save them with some fungicide.

Oddly enough (but in a good way), the hot peppers have done really well
this year.

Bob