Old 27-08-2008, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Canna Heinrich Seidel/Roma

"Sacha" wrote
"Sacha" wrote

Thanks to both you and Bob for all this info. I'm printing it off to
hand
over to Ray and Matthew. I was typing up our Plant List when I came
across
a web site that said these two Cannas had been confused, so I knew
someone
would have the answer here!

Ah, but it may not be as easy as that. Which one have you got, what's
it's
correct name? :-)

Is it Roma or Heinrich Seide, or even one of the other incorrectly named
Canna Roma...
Cattleya
Florence Vaughan **
Jennifer
Madame Crozy **
Mrs Crozy
Orange Humbert
Orange King Humbert
Papillon
Sunburst
Yellow King Humbert **

** names belong to totally different plants.

You could spend many happy (?) hours on this one.

Going by David's description we're happy it's what we thought it was, C.
Heinrich Seidel. But have a look on web site and see what you think -
then
you can have the happy hours! I've just spent half an hour getting a pic
of
Heliconia scheideana to upload properly. It insisted on trying to pretend
it was a Hedychium, so I'm rather 'off' both computers and exotic plants
atm
and am going to cook supper!!

Looks right to me, although the "Yellow King Humbert" has the same colouring
the central orange/red blotch is smaller.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden