Old 26-08-2008, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Canna Heinrich Seidel/Roma

Does anyone here know if it's true that Canna Heinrich Seidel is really C.
Roma which became misattributed some years ago? Are they in fact, one and
the same? David - anyone?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2008, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Does anyone here know if it's true that Canna Heinrich Seidel is really C.
Roma which became misattributed some years ago? Are they in fact, one and
the same? David - anyone?

This may be of interest.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canna_%27Roma%27

You will see that it says C. "Heinrich Seidel" is a totally different plant
and is incorrectly used as a synonym.

Indeed it says C. "Madame Crozy" is also used a a synonym but that is
crimson red with a golden edge and was a parent of C. "Roma".
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-08-2008, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:
Does anyone here know if it's true that Canna Heinrich Seidel is really C.
Roma which became misattributed some years ago? Are they in fact, one and
the same? David - anyone?

Well, 'Heinrich Seidel' has bright golden yellow flowers with orange
feathering especially towards the middle of the flower. It's a
sumptuous variety and really ought to be more widely available. C.
'Roma' appears to have been confused with 'Florence Vaughan', which is
one of the 'spotty' Cannas. In this case the ground colour is yellow
heavily overlaid with orange spots and blotches and a yellow border.
It's a fair bet that the variety we know as 'Florence Vaughan' is in
fact 'Roma'. As to 'Roma' and Heinrich Seidel' being confused, they
are rather too distinct for that to happen.
Old 27-08-2008, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Thanks to both you and Bob for all this info. I'm printing it off to hand
over to Ray and Matthew. I was typing up our Plant List when I came
across
a web site that said these two Cannas had been confused, so I knew someone
would have the answer here!

Ah, but it may not be as easy as that. Which one have you got, what's it's
correct name? :-)

Is it Roma or Heinrich Seide, or even one of the other incorrectly named
Canna Roma...
Cattleya
Florence Vaughan **
Jennifer
Madame Crozy **
Mrs Crozy
Orange Humbert
Orange King Humbert
Papillon
Sunburst
Yellow King Humbert **

** names belong to totally different plants.

You could spend many happy (?) hours on this one.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-08-2008, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

Going by David's description we're happy it's what we thought it was, C.
Heinrich Seidel. But have a look on web site and see what you think -
then
you can have the happy hours! I've just spent half an hour getting a pic
of
Heliconia scheideana to upload properly. It insisted on trying to pretend
it was a Hedychium, so I'm rather 'off' both computers and exotic plants
atm
and am going to cook supper!!

Looks right to me, although the "Yellow King Humbert" has the same colouring
the central orange/red blotch is smaller.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-08-2008, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Ah, just had a look. Yes, that is 'Heinrich Siedel'. True 'Yellow
King Humbert' is one of the 'spotty' Cannas and is very variable
sometimes producing petals that are half yellow and half red, or
flowers that are all red or all yellow. Add to that its tendency to
produce purple variegated leaves as well as leaves that are wholly
purple and you have a highly schizophrenic plant. It also goes by the
name of Cleopatra.

Since there is a variety similar to Florence Vaughan called Cleopatre
amongst the Crozy group of hybrids, it doesn't require a huge leap of
imagination to understand how Florence is also confused with Yellow
King Humbert! Cannas are in a heck of a mess and so far no-one
appears to have the courage to sort them all out. It doesn't help
with every man and his dog raising seedlings from named varieties and
pushing them out with the parental name either.
Old 27-08-2008, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/8/08 21:41, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

[...]

Not surprisingly, I read that as 'the Crazy' group of hybrids. As he has
told you Ray has a Hedychium here known to him as 'Ken' because Ken gave it
to him. So far, nobody has managed to get beyond that point! It's like our
Canna 'Lesotho Lil' which was brought back from Lesotho and given to Ray who
called it that for fun, in the absence of any other ID. Next thing he knew,
someone had bought it from us, propagated it and put it in the Plant
Finder!! So C. Lesotho Lil it remains.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Canna Facts and Canna Care BobWalsh Gardening 5 29-05-2011 08:27 PM
Roma Tomato Question The Ranger Edible Gardening 5 09-08-2003 07:32 PM
Anybody growing Bella'Roma?--Nobody is? A guy named Emil Roses 1 01-02-2003 07:19 AM
Anybody growing Bella'Roma? Emil Roses 3 31-01-2003 04:14 PM
Anybody growing Bella'Roma? A guy named Emil Roses 0 29-01-2003 12:22 AM