Old 28-08-2008, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Potato problem

"Crundy" wrote in message
et...
Hello,
I just had to lift all my spuds from their sack because the blight on the
foliage was completely out of hand. I only got a small quantity of spuds
(disappointment 1), but to top it off, some of the spuds have a hard dark
brown 'growth' on them, while the rest have a funny bumpy surface (picture
at http://www.cryptpad.com/spuds.jpg). Does anyone know what this is, and
if it makes the potatoes inedible?

It looks like scab, which is unsightly, but not a major problem. We get it
a lot on our sandy soil. I take it they look OK beneath the surface? If so,
they'll be OK to eat.

Steve