Old 27-08-2008, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato problem

Hello,
I just had to lift all my spuds from their sack because the blight on the
foliage was completely out of hand. I only got a small quantity of spuds
(disappointment 1), but to top it off, some of the spuds have a hard dark
brown 'growth' on them, while the rest have a funny bumpy surface (picture
at http://www.cryptpad.com/spuds.jpg). Does anyone know what this is, and if
it makes the potatoes inedible?

Old 28-08-2008, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Aug, 19:47, "Crundy" wrote:
Hello,
I just had to lift all my spuds from their sack because the blight on the
foliage was completely out of hand. I only got a small quantity of spuds
(disappointment 1), but to top it off, some of the spuds have a hard dark
brown 'growth' on them, while the rest have a funny bumpy surface (picture
athttp://www.cryptpad.com/spuds.jpg). Does anyone know what this is, and if
it makes the potatoes inedible?

I haven't had the brown growth, but I frequently get the funny bumpy
surface. I have eaten them peeled with no ill effects, though I
wouldn't cook them as jackets.

Chris
Old 28-08-2008, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Crundy" wrote in message
et...
Hello,
I just had to lift all my spuds from their sack because the blight on the
foliage was completely out of hand. I only got a small quantity of spuds
(disappointment 1), but to top it off, some of the spuds have a hard dark
brown 'growth' on them, while the rest have a funny bumpy surface (picture
at http://www.cryptpad.com/spuds.jpg). Does anyone know what this is, and
if it makes the potatoes inedible?

It looks like scab, which is unsightly, but not a major problem. We get it
a lot on our sandy soil. I take it they look OK beneath the surface? If so,
they'll be OK to eat.

Steve

Old 29-08-2008, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Crundy" wrote in message
et...
Hello,
I just had to lift all my spuds from their sack because the blight on the
foliage was completely out of hand. I only got a small quantity of spuds
(disappointment 1), but to top it off, some of the spuds have a hard dark
brown 'growth' on them, while the rest have a funny bumpy surface
(picture at http://www.cryptpad.com/spuds.jpg). Does anyone know what
this is, and if it makes the potatoes inedible?

It looks like scab, which is unsightly, but not a major problem. We get it
a lot on our sandy soil. I take it they look OK beneath the surface? If
so, they'll be OK to eat.

Steve

Yup, okay to eat. The slimier looking black gouges look like slug attack.
If it's only superficial, cut that part away and cook as usual.

Spider