Old 29-08-2008, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] kdv09@excite.com is offline

Default heap of fresh mulch getting hot

Howdy!
We've got a heap of fresh mulch (trees were chopped three days ago)
The trees were mainly australian native bushy trees - no idea about
what they are called. The heap is a about 9 cubic meters and ~4-5 feet
high. This morning noticed a white steam rising, and sure enough, it's
warm inside. I dug about 3 feet into it and it's pleasant warm. I
understand why it's warm, what I'm worried about, is it dangerous at
all/ From what I see on the web, there were cases of much taller piles
of mulch selfigniting. It's midspring here in australia, temperatures
are 7-17'C, and even some chance of rain soon. How long it takes for
the mulch to cool down?
Many thanks
kdv09