Old 29-08-2008, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default heap of fresh mulch getting hot

Howdy!
We've got a heap of fresh mulch (trees were chopped three days ago)
The trees were mainly australian native bushy trees - no idea about
what they are called. The heap is a about 9 cubic meters and ~4-5 feet
high. This morning noticed a white steam rising, and sure enough, it's
warm inside. I dug about 3 feet into it and it's pleasant warm. I
understand why it's warm, what I'm worried about, is it dangerous at
all/ From what I see on the web, there were cases of much taller piles
of mulch selfigniting. It's midspring here in australia, temperatures
are 7-17'C, and even some chance of rain soon. How long it takes for
the mulch to cool down?
Many thanks
kdv09
Old 29-08-2008, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ok, thanks for that! And I understand it would be a better mulch, if I
keep it for 2-4 weeks before using it on the garden beds, as fresh
mulch would consume some nitrogen from the soil while decomposing

On Aug 29, 1:58*pm, Billy wrote:
If it starts feeling hot, spray some water on it. Hot is good because it
kills pests and weed seeds but fresh bailed hay or alfalfa has been
known to combust. A couple of minutes of the hose should do it.

Old 29-08-2008, 08:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
Howdy!
We've got a heap of fresh mulch (trees were chopped three days ago)
The trees were mainly australian native bushy trees - no idea about
what they are called. The heap is a about 9 cubic meters and ~4-5 feet
high. This morning noticed a white steam rising, and sure enough, it's
warm inside. I dug about 3 feet into it and it's pleasant warm. I
understand why it's warm, what I'm worried about, is it dangerous at
all/ From what I see on the web, there were cases of much taller piles
of mulch selfigniting. It's midspring here in australia, temperatures
are 7-17'C, and even some chance of rain soon. How long it takes for
the mulch to cool down?
Many thanks
kdv09

As Billy said keep it damp (not wet). If you are really worried about a fire
spread it out and it will cool down. The deeper the pile the less surface
area (where heat is lost) in proportion to the volume (where heat is
generated). This is why you are advised, amongst other things, to build a big
pile (over a cubic metre) for hot composting.

Mid spring! You must be a banana bender.

David

Old 29-08-2008, 08:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

understand why it's warm, what I'm worried about, is it dangerous at
all/ From what I see on the web, there were cases of much taller piles
of mulch selfigniting.

It certainly can be dangerous. We had a bushfire round here started by a
compost heap so it can and does happen.

Old 29-08-2008, 09:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

OK, i'll keep my eye on it - it actually in front of kitchen window,
not to hard.
As for the midspring - we are crow eaters (south australia) :-)

Old 29-08-2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Do not use FRESH CHIPS the protoplasm smeared all over the place attracts
undesirable micros. No time to explain right now.
Will fill you in if email me at Fresh chips can
cause disease.

Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 29-08-2008, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:41:36 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

DAMN!

Old 31-08-2008, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Don Staples" wrote in message
news
"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:41:36 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

DAMN!
Don Staples - Consulting Salvage Hog
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

Old 31-08-2008, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:41:36 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

BOSS

BOSS

BOSS
BOSS

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
plenty of fresh hot ache wanders shirts against Hector's heavy kettle [email protected] United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 03:32 PM
a lot of sharp hats are fresh and other stupid floors are hot, but will Guglielmo climb that Eve United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 01:47 PM