Old 29-08-2008, 08:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default heap of fresh mulch getting hot

wrote in message
Howdy!
We've got a heap of fresh mulch (trees were chopped three days ago)
The trees were mainly australian native bushy trees - no idea about
what they are called. The heap is a about 9 cubic meters and ~4-5 feet
high. This morning noticed a white steam rising, and sure enough, it's
warm inside. I dug about 3 feet into it and it's pleasant warm. I
understand why it's warm, what I'm worried about, is it dangerous at
all/ From what I see on the web, there were cases of much taller piles
of mulch selfigniting. It's midspring here in australia, temperatures
are 7-17'C, and even some chance of rain soon. How long it takes for
the mulch to cool down?
Many thanks
kdv09

As Billy said keep it damp (not wet). If you are really worried about a fire
spread it out and it will cool down. The deeper the pile the less surface
area (where heat is lost) in proportion to the volume (where heat is
generated). This is why you are advised, amongst other things, to build a big
pile (over a cubic metre) for hot composting.

Mid spring! You must be a banana bender.

David